We must Teach and Learn of our Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Heritage
I thought it important to share more of my opinions and ideas of the Nature and Heritage of We Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander (ATSI) Australian Peoples, especially with some of our Youth.
Please feel free to share this note with others.
- Always Be proud of your Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Heritage and Culture for it is considered to represent the Oldest surviving Culture in the World, therefore, it is important that we continue to maintain it and pass our Cultural Knowledge onto our Descendants.
- Never ever be ashamed of your Cultural Heritage and Always Walk with Your Head Held High
- Our Ancestors were a very Strong, Proud, Intelligent and Adapatable peoples.
- Our Ancestors were not a lazy people and we dishonour them if we are lazy in our own lives.
- Our Ancient Culture is based on Respect – Respect for Yourself First, Respect for your Family Second, Respect for Your Elders Third, Respect for Other Peoples of the World Fourthly.
- We had no need to wage full scale war on our Neighbours for lived in peaceful co-existence for we are all related and traded with each other.
- We have many Ancient Name and Land Boundaries but at the end of the day we are One People who merely developed diverse ways of Cultural Expression and Connection to our Lands.
- The many freedoms and advancement we have today were hard fought and won by the blood, sweat and tears of our Elders, so do not waste or squander them by refusing to take any opportunities for self and group advancement that may come your way.
- If you waste your opportunities to develop as a person and people then you dishonour our Elders and Ancestors.
- If you do not know about your Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Identity and Culture then go and ask some of your respected Elders. If the Elders do not know it then go and research it for yourself, because I am fully aware that the traditional trasfer of Aboriginal Knowledge and Education have been eroded or vanished in some regions.
- Do not wait for others to teach you or your children. Has you begin to learn start to teach your children firstly and then expand outwards from them to other people in your local community.
- Always do such research with Respect and do not become vain or big headed about it because in Ancient days our learning and acquisition of knowledge took a life time and not a few days, weeks, months or years.
- Respect is a two way street – Youth must Respect Elders and Elders must Respect Youth, otherwise how can our Youth learn how to Resepct if Elders do not practice it towards them first.
- Also, always, try to share what you learn with others for that is our Ancient Way.
- Do not hog or keep such knowledge to yourself because that is being selfish and which goes against our laws and traditions; the knowledge you learn and acquire equally belong to other people in your group and not just you and/or your immediate Family members.
- Do not misuse the knowledge you acquire for selfish gains or against others, teach them rather than admonish or beat them with it.
- If your language is dying, vanishing, or not being used then take a personal responsibility to bring it back into your life and the community at large.
- Elders have a responsibility to teach and Youth have a responsibility to learn so that they may become the Teachers to the next Generation of our Peoples.
- Do not ever become known as the Generation that finally gave up for good our Ancient Ways, Knowledge and Traditions.